Reclaimed Wood Floors: Pros and Cons
For those who want an easier alternative to those high wooden planks for their flooring, they should take a look at the reclaimed wood floors. As the name implies, this wooden flooring utilized recycled material which means that the material is taken from various sources.
Most of the time, the wooden elements are made from old wooden beams like available wooden seats or even wooden shipping container. They are an easier alternative but are still able to provide you with that natural looks that you are looking for.
Reclaimed Wood Floor Pros and Cons
But before you go buying the wooden material, there are a lot of things to consider first. Here are the advantages and the disadvantages of the reclaimed wood used for flooring;
The Pros of Reclaimed Wood Floors
- Some like the weathered looks on this used the wooden floor. Most of the materials are taken from unused wooden logs or planks, and it gives unique looks of aging and weathering, unlike the new planks.
- It is also very versatile; you can use the wooden material to make other decorations for your room as well. So if you accidentally bought too many, the additional material can be reused for various other things.
- They are also excellent for the environment. Not only because of their durability means fewer wears and tears, but if you treat them carefully, it will last for a very long time.
- It contains history, but it depends on where you got your material.
The Cons of Reclaimed Wood Floors
- It is tough to find material which is still in good condition. Most of the time, the wooden material that you found are already tainted with various other things such as chemicals, paints, or other types of adhesives.
- Usually, if you bought the material from the uncertified dealer, you will only get material with appalling quality. So finding the right dealer is critical, do not get swayed by the cheap price tag.
- It requires proper care. These woods are very prone to infestation from various kinds of the organism and if it left untreated will damage the flooring very quickly. Of course, this is related with how the wooden material was initially used for.
- Reclaimed wood floors cost more money because they need to be processed first before they can be sold. Used planks are useless as it is so the dealer needs to make sure that the material are usable and it needs proper processing which increases the price.
If you do not have a problem with money and funding, you can choose to get the engineered reclaimed wood floors. It is a lot more durable than the regular one but also cost a lot more money to get, they also a lot more stable so you can use it for a lot more things.
Also Read: Granny Pods Floor Plans Guide
Alternatively, if you have a lot of available wooden material from your old barn or sorts, you can use it to make your reclaimed wood floors. It will be cheaper but make sure you processed it first.